Welcome to my blog

As a digital professional working in major businesses I've become increasingly keen to share my thoughts and opinions. I hope in some small way they add value to your daily lives.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

IBM are right - we need Smart Computers

I never quite got what IBM were on about with their 'Smarter Planet' concept until I began to think through what problems a smarter computer or digital channel could solve. My interpretation of a smarter computer, portal or system is really something which knows me and does the thinking for me. Sadly today there are not many digital experiences where this happens.

So here's the great modern day challenge, to build a digital experience which knows me and pro- actively solves for all of life's little challenges. Personally I often find that as a customer I'm working harder than the computer to find the answers. My expectation is that the computer does the heavy lifting bringing information to me in an easy to consume format. I guess a very basic version of this concept is the Amazon "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" service.

It's pretty odd, that despite the availability of powerful technology, we still request our customers to do a good amount of the work. In our busy and complex lives this seems reasonable.

In terms of the presentation of information in a smarter way, we have to acknowledge the data visualization trend. For so long we've laboured with consuming data in tables with the hope to pick through it all to find the answer. But now we are using smart visuals ie. graphs, charts, icons to better provide the answers. A basic concept I know but a great advancement for the everyday consumer. A great example of this concept can be seen at Mint ( a personal finance management tool) who use lots of visual tools to help consumers understand their spending behaviour. These guys in my opinion really get the 'smarter planet' concept, as the portal does the majority of the heavy lifting and answers are delivered to the customer in an easy to consume mode.

In my day job as a digital profession I concern myself greatly with making the lives of my customers' easier. I imagine their lives are like mine, over committed, time poor and working hard to be a parent, partner and provider. So the best thing I can do for that customer, is to deliver a smarter customer experience which works hard to both know them and deliver the required information in a consumable fashion, so they can live a better, less complex life. In some way I think I'm reproducing the trusted old bank manager, who knew me, gave me the sage advice and kindly reminded me when a payment was due. Those are the days I long for and a smarter computer can go a long way to bringing back the good old days.

Author's note: I've been in that past a beneficiary of IBM hospitality but I'm not employed by that business.

No comments: